Monday, November 12, 2012

The Reason for no progress......

Had to take a break. Had to get rid of some back pain and do some of this......

Siding continued.....

Gable torn off. Made all the gable cove shakes. Need to Reconstruct the window and mantel. Found couple empty voids in insulation. Need to clean the stain glass windows and install the new storm windows to protect them.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

TGI the Last Gable

I'm on the last side and on my last wits! The tear off is always the easiest part! Once again my scaffolding does not reach the peak.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Lion casting

Here are some photos of the lion castings that we finally put on the house. Feel free to let us know what you think!

Our victorian

Burt took this photo one early morning.  Things are looking better - I cannot wait for the railing to be done!

Monday, June 4, 2012

Fountain refinish

We have purchased our fountain about 3 years ago.  It had somewhat dull finish that looked like a copper base with a black glaze.  I tackled many projects, but this one I was not sure about.  With the water running over the finish and the fountain being concrete, the pain became worn.  Burt gave me one day to make a decision if I am going to paint it or not, otherwise he was going to fill it with water.

I decided I needed to do something about it.  I did not want to use a concrete stain and the odds of getting one in a copper finish within one day weren't that great.  I ended up going with the same process that I used for our lion statues (those were resin).

I used Rust-Oleum Metallic in Antique Copper (4 cans of base spray paint).  For the top finished I used Rust-Oleum Semi-Gloss black (quart). The best way to create the antique finish is to place the black into the recessed areas to create a shadow-like effect.  I do that with a brush and wipe over it with a soft rag (the paint on the rag is just enough to give the entire surface great even look).

In this photo you can see the unfinished bottom part and the top with just a first Antique Copper coat.

And here is a finished fountain and our new landscaping.

Still working on the fence

Wrought iron gate
We've managed to get the fence on the front of the property and gates completed and it is already June.  We have so many projects "in progress" we can't seem to finish this one.  I hope you enjoy this Victorian style inspired gate!

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Wrought Iron Fence

Here is our current project!  Burt is working on welding a wrought iron fence.  I cannot wait till it is up!  It took us a very long time to come up with a perfect design. We wanted to stay true to what the fence would have looked like if it was built in 1904. I hope we got it right.  We decided to put it up until all the sections and gates are completed. After that, we will get it all sandblasted and painted.

Victorian Home Wrought Iron Fence